In a few weeks I’ll be heading back to Harrisburg, PA, for the Allume (formerly Relevant) conference. It’s a delightful weekend of catching up with my blogging buddies who have become the soul-sister kind of friends … and an opportunity to grow as both a writer and a believer. This is my third year to attend and I have loved it every time.
This year I’ll be helping out at the Avodah Coffee table. Have I mentioned how much I love the Avodah Blend? Oh my word … best. coffee. ever. Thanks to Jordan and Jessica for the honor of sharing your message of lives where work, serving, and worship become one.
The thing is, I get really (really!) nervous before attending a conference. Oddly, I attend several conferences of different types each year and I get equally nervous before each one. I’m basically an introverted dork who likes long conversations with one or two people way better than being in a group. Also, I’m not as funny in real life as I think I am on the computer (because my hilarious husband isn’t right there to improve my wit level).
I also worry about a thousand other things like what if I don’t bring enough clothes, what if my flat iron dies while I’m gone, what if I get stuck on an elevator. Oh wait! That last one happened last year at Relevant. See, some of my freakish fears are incredibly legit.
Okay, so I guess you get the picture right? My fellow introvert and sweet friend Brooke hosts a linky each year before Allume so we can let our roomies know a little bit about us before we spend a weekend together. My sweet roommate this year is the lovely Sarah Pinnix. I adore her! I’m thankful for her wisdom and encouragement and the precious friendship we have built through this crazy social media world. Here’s a picture one of my Type-A roomies, Hillary, me, and Sarah. (Photo taken by my other Type A roomie, another Sarah, Sarah Hubbell.)
So, Sarah, though I imagine you know me pretty well, there are a few things I’d better tell you before we spend the weekend together.
- I set the alarm for an hour before I need to get up because I’m an optimist … I like to think I’m going to work out or spend extra time in prayer. I’m not. I’ll reset it after the second snooze when reality kicks in.
- I will only finish half of the cup of coffee I fix in our room. I don’t know why but it always happens. It’s weird. But for the rest of the day, I will leave my coffee cups bone dry.
- I’ll bring way too much jewelry and not enough shoes. Both of these facts will become annoying to me.
- I am willing to stay up all night talking because there just will not be enough time to catch up if we sleep.
- If I do #4, I will be incredibly grumpy the next day. It will require a nap to make me human again.
- I will pester you to death about Samaritan’s Purse and how I can be a part of sharing the message. I am overwhelmed by the way you are using your abilities to further the Kingdom.
- I don’t know as much as politics as you do but I like to think I do … please don’t burst my bubble.
- I’m really hoping the Samaritan’s Purse, Avodah Coffee, and FreeSet tables are right by each other … because I truly believe you, me, and Kristi could solve all the world’s problems if we had enough time together.
- I snore. (I wish it wasn’t true. I’ve denied it for years. But I’m over 40 and it’s just a fact of life these days.)
- I will cry when we have to say good-bye … it’s what I do.
Okay, so that’s it … please don’t back out on me!! 🙂
Do you get nervous attending conferences? How do you prepare your nerves?
Psst … my book on parenting releases next Monday. I’m super excited to make it available in print and you will be able to order from my website and pay no shipping!! Also, there will be an affiliate program with 50% commission for the PDF version. How exciting!! Come back tomorrow for more information!!